A concerned citizen called up Animal Control in Brampton, Ontario, after spotting an alligator in a local storm drainage pond. The caller reported that the beast was 5-6 ft in length.
A spokesperson for the police said the gator was reportedly spotted around 8:45 p.m. on Friday, and several locals had reportedly taken photos of the reptile. Peel Police said in a tweet that officers were on standby, "ready to provide Gator-aid."
ANIMAL COMPLAINT— Peel Regional Police (@PeelPolice) May 2, 2020
- Area of Creditview Rd/James Potter Rd in #Brampton
- Reports of alligator in storm drainage pond
- Officers on scene searching for 5-6 foot alligator
- I always thought they only had 4 feet...
- Officers are ready to provide Gator-aid
Police officers and Animal Control arrived on the scene only to be oddly surprised at what they found there...
After searching for a few hours and reviewing the photo and video evidence, they determined that it was not an alligator at large, but a beaver.
UPDATE/CLARIFICATION— Peel Regional Police (@PeelPolice) May 2, 2020
- RE: Animal Complaint PR200143233
- Animal services attended and also reviewed the video on social media. The animal observed was determined to be a Beaver.
- Any further inquiries regarding the video/incident can be directed to Brampton Animal Control
Police did not arrest the beaver.